Day 134: "I am open to hearing your truth."

After reading Sonnet 134 in the car this morning and bidding Priya farewell on her icy adventure, I attended choir class, where we continued working on Danny Boy and looked at The Rhythm of Life.

Walking down the hallway after class, I ran into Mr. Chang and re-routed to his room, where we got to have a nice unscheduled chat (gratias, Magister!). Topics of discussion spanned from Bollywood films (about which Mr. Chang is quite knowledgeable) to exercise routines (about which he knows just a bit less).

Soon afterward, it was time for Town Meeting, where we had a guest speaker today -- Mr. Christopher B. Howard. Mr. Howard presented to us these five tenets of good character:

Be yourself.
Be humble.
Be accountable.
Be courageous.
Be the change you want to see in the world.

He supplemented his advice with anecdotes on experiences from his time in school and in the air force. His talk was very enjoyable, and gave us students a lot to think about!

Back in the studio, I rolled a piece of slab which I imprinted with the pattern of a large cutting of lace. This clay ended up looking like tree bark, so many of today's bowls were woodland-themed.


After double lunch period with Anna, Jess, and Zane, I returned to the ceramics studio when my brother Omar paid me a visit. As we caught up and discussed all our latest existential crises, I also taught him to craft bowls, and he helped me reach a total of 11 for today!


A hasty cleanup was followed by a quick text conversation with Maine-bound Priya, which was followed by an awesome Certamen practice. It's a bit of a pity that I'm starting to be able to answer non-grammar questions only after having graduated. Oh, well -- scientia gratia scientiae!

After practice, Mama, Papa, and I went to the movie theater to watch Don 2 -- an energetic Indian action film -- but ended up seeing The Iron Lady -- a depressing movie about Cold War England. I was the only person below 48 years old in the hall, and would certainly classify this film as one to be appreciated better on a Wednesday afternoon than a Friday night. And that too, once it comes out on DVD.


On a brighter note, I arrived home to a new music video by one of my favorite YouTube artists -- Woojin Kim! I would greatly encourage you all to click here to check out his work, and press "subscribe" for a lifetime of musical presents. (His "smile-and-wave" at the end of each video is always the best part.)

Musically satiated and mentally emaciated, I drift off to sleep looking forward to a relaxing long weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bygones -- by Marina Keegan

Day 97: I might steal your clothes and wear them if they fit me.

This is my smoke signal!